Sunday, August 22, 2010

Photography: DSLR Nikon D40- do you have one? What do you think? Advice?

I'm moving on up! I love photography but am not a pro. After seeking Y!A advice in a previous question, I'm just about settled on getting my first DSLR within the next month. I'm told the Nikon D40 is a great choice for an entry level SLR.





I've been to a store and handled one and liked it for the most part. I was frustrated though because while the LCD screen is amazing, we couldn't figure out how to take pictures FROM the LCD screen without having to use the viewfinder. I hate using viewfinders! Is it possible to take pictures from the LCD screen? Would that be in Wallpaper mode or something? The person at the store couldn't figure it out either.





This next question may be silly, but again, I'm new to SLRs... these cameras won't have a video setting, will they? I had a Kodak Easyshare prior to this, so I was spoiled (when it worked). I was hoping not to have to buy a separate video camera.





Lastly, is it true I will have to buy a new type of camera memory card? If so, what type, and why? Will I need more than one? With the other cameras I had two 2GB cards and that was plenty. I understand I may have the capability to shoot in RAW format... is that optional, or a set in stone kind of feature? Can I switch back and forth?





Oh- and is the strap that comes with the camera a nice neck strap (like the ones Nikon shows in their tutorials)?





Any other advice or suggestions you may have about this camera as my first SLR would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!





If you have any additionalPhotography: DSLR Nikon D40- do you have one? What do you think? Advice?
I have the D40, and I'm pretty fond of it. I will move up to a better DSLR in the future as I continue with my photography, but it is a great camera for beginners. It's okay, when I first got mine I was CLUELESS to how these DSLR cameras worked, but I got one, and I'm still learning and I've had mine for almost a year. It's an adventure. And I just bought an additional lens for it now. :)





1. You can't take the pictures from the LCD screen. This is good and bad. With photography, if you're taking it seriously, you want to have the viewfinder. With the LCD screen its easy to miss details and hard to tell what is in focus, with the viewfinder, you have no distractions around you, and you can see up close what you will be taking a picture of. The picture shows up on the LCD as soon as you take it though. It's ridiculous that the person at the store didn't know this, they should be informed with everything about what they are selling.





2. Nah they don't have video. It kinda sucks, but I deal with it because of the beautiful pictures it produces. Not many DSLRS have a video setting that I know of, other then the new Canon Rebel t1i, which is a bit pricey (the D40 is also a great choice with the low low price)!





3. I just got 2 regular 2GB cards, I don't think you need anything special, not that I know of anyways. Yes you can shoot in RAW, but RAW pictures take up ALOT of space on your camera and on your computer, and you can switch back and forth easily.





3. Yes you get a nice neck strap. :)





For the price, this camera is a great one for a beginner in SLR cameras. It is easy to work once you get the hang of it and takes beautiful pictures. It will take some getting used to compared to a regular point and shoot camera, I'm STILL learning things I had no clue about, because SLR cameras aren't a piece of cake, but you'll get the hang of it. You wont get as much with this one as some other expensive ones out there(LCD live-view mode, video-taking, etc..) but for the low price it really is great. If you want a bit more then this one offers you should look at the Canon Digital Rebel t1i, but it really is more expensive, and I don't know what your budget is.





Good luck!Photography: DSLR Nikon D40- do you have one? What do you think? Advice?
Well, the D40 doesn't give you the option of using live view. You need at least a D5000 or Canon Rebel XS





Also since the weight of DSLRs are much higher than point and shoots, I would strongly recommend using a viewfinder. Holding a DSLR a foot away from your eyes will produce a lot of camera shake, which will lead to blurry images. Not to mention using the viewfinder allows you to take advantage of the DSLR system's superior phase detect autofocus system, which does not work with live view.





As for video stuff....again you need at least a D5000 or a Canon T1i in order to get video. Not to mention video on DSLRs isn't that great.





For memory cards, the D40 uses standard SD memory cards. It should be the same card as your Easyshare.





The strap is a nice yellow and black Nikon one.

No comments:

Post a Comment