Sunday, August 22, 2010

Need advice on ';thank you'; etiquette?

If a gift giver knows for certain that a gift was received by the intended recipient, is it impolite for the gift giver to bring up the fact that he/she was never thanked? Some people say to just drop it, but others think something should be said. By the way this was not for a wedding or any kind of formal event.Need advice on ';thank you'; etiquette?
I would not phrase it quite like the way your implying. You would be perfectly okay to ask ';Did you receive the gift I sent you? How did you like it?';. This gives the other party the opportunity to offer thanks without embarrassing him/her.Need advice on ';thank you'; etiquette?
As a gift giver, I would never bring up the fact that I was not thanked for my gift. I give gifts because I love the person; not for accolades about what a great gift I gave.





On the otherhand, I have been thanked for an insignificant gift -- or for a favor that I have done. A 'thank you' really makes the giver feel good.





If you are the recipient, always thank the giver; if you are the giver, just let it go!
I do not think you should ask for a 'Thank You'. The gift was not given with the goal to be thanked --- was it? The gift was given as a celebration of the event, and/or given out of caring and support.





Their non-thanks may give you insight to the kind of people they are, or perhaps they have not yet sent them out yet.
Nope, just say ';Hey, did you ever receive that gift I sent you? I never heard anything and I do hope it wasn't lost in the mail...';





Feigning concern over lost shipments will prompt the person to speak up next time they get something for which they need to give thanks.
It is normal to say thank you for presents. May be it is a jokeful situation or a situation known between the giver and the recipient and for that, they don't think thank you is needed.
Yes, it is impolite. One does not give gifts in order to receive thanks. They're supposed to get them, but they should never sacrifice their own etiquette just to call attention to the poor etiquette of someone else.
It would be improper to ask or bring up the subject of a thank you for a gift. That would be tacky and rude.
Yes, it would be impolite.
umm. i like pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment